Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Anyone that knows me well, knows that I HATE bananas. Not just dislike them, but despise them with every fiber of my being. I know that sounds quite dramatic but it's just the truth. It's a long story as to why this is, so you can ask someone who I grew up with.
BUT I know that bananas are very nutritious and healthy, so I figured it was time to bite the bullet and give some to Jenna. She has had banana baby food before (which made me gag really bad) but this was the first time for the real deal.
Below is a chronicle of our afternoon snack:

For fear of gagging, I wrapped a bib around my nose and kept the banana in a baggie so I didn't have to touch it with my fingers.
Here Jenna is reaching for the new treat, which was quite hard to do. Another reason, not to like bananas.
Here's her first bite!!! She's so my daughter! Look at that face!
I hear ya baby! They are nasty little things!
No more!!! No more!!!!
I have read many times that kids need to try new foods numerous times and I promise to let her try them again. But I will say that bananas are very messy and cleaning her hands afterwards kinda ruined my whole day!!

9 comments:

kinsey said...

LOVE THIS POST!! and so proud of you for introducing jenna to something that you ABSOLUTELY HATE!! still makes me giggle though. remember when blythe and i (i think it was her) put banana slices on your windshield and then you smeared them all around with your wipers?!?! love that story ;-)

mommymimi said...

too funny!!! hey didn't someone put them under your mat at the dorm room too. i remember how much you hate them! wow! jenna is too too cute!!! xo

TEAMMA said...

thats so funny!! I am not a huge banana fan either-- and for little ones they are really messy-- much better when they can hold the whole thing and eat it without getting all squishy and messy! great story though!!

Sarah said...

YES I remember that kinsey!!! i gagged the whole way home! and someone put one in my purse in junior high and i threw the whole purse away (and it was this really cute pink drawstring purse from Gap. bananas just bring out the worst in people!

Mary Lauren said...

Jenna's expression seriously looks just like you!!! I love it. You get extra brownie points for putting nutrition before your own gag reflexion and now you don't have to do it again based on Jenna's reaction.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard right now! That is hillarious Sarah!

Emily said...

HILARIOUS!
I remember when the banana was put in your purse in choir.
I was actually talking with someone the other day about my hatred of bananas & how I didn't know if I could feed them to Travis. My hatred stems from Katie H's bday party in elementary school. Her dad did a bunch of YL skits & I had to eat many bananas as fast as I could (thinking that it was a race and others were participating...forgot to say that I was blindfolded). Well, I gagged that day and have gagged while eating anything banana flavored ever since. It ruined me!! SICK!
Love your pictures!!!

Emily K. said...

SO FUNNY!! I love it, but am glad she doesn't dislike them for the same reason you do...

Stephanie said...

LOVE the picture of you with the bib on to protect you from the banana smell. I guess its a love hate kind of a fruit. I in particular despise the taste of the "fake" banana flavoring that is used in many muffins :)

Your baby girl is darling!!
-Stephanie